- Elephant foot yam has a rich nutritional profile. It provides energy about 330KJ/100g (approximately).
- Potassium, Phosphorous and Magnesium are the key minerals found in elephant yam. It also contains trace minerals like zinc, copper and selenium.
- It also contains Calcium. 50-56mg/100g of its contents is Calcium.Its 18-24% is carbohydrate content.
- About 0.8% is fiber..
- Its water content is about 72-79%
- 1.7-5.0% of its content is protein.It has omega-3 fatty acids which are known to increase the good cholesterol levels in the blood.
- Diosgenin, a molecular hormone which has potential anticancer effects, is found in yam.
- Elephant foot yam is high on vitamin B6 content.
- It also contains Vitamin C and Vitamin A.
- From its wide medicinal benefits and nutritional profile we can hereby conclude that elephant yam is very potent source of nutrition. So its consumption will prove beneficial to health. It can also be consumed by people looking for weight reduction as it is low on fat content (0.2-0.4%). Yam is a healthy low fat food